Mold is a nasty fungus that thrives in environments of excessive moisture, dust and debris, making it a common issue for property owners, especially after floods, plumbing leaks, or water damage. It can take effect and thrive quickly after the introduction of water, humidity or a moisture source to an area, and it can cause damage in as little as 48 hours. Without contacting a professional mold removal service, untreated mold damages in properties can cause health concerns, allergens, and poor air quality.
The key to mold control is moisture control. Our highly experienced team utilizing our inventory of specialized mold remediation equipment can undertake and successfully complete projects of any magnitude.
Don’t Wait to Mitigate
Since mold is so aggressive and determined, it’s important that a mold testing and or mold inspection in your home be done as soon as possible so steps can be taken to remove it.
- If any area in your home has suffered even the slightest water damage, quick action is necessary.
- Mold can grow in as little as 48 hours, due to excessive moisture from a broken pipe, a leak, or flooding.
- Getting materials on the path to being dry as soon as possible will greatly improve your chances of preventing mold growth.
- If surfaces or materials remain wet, mold will most certainly begin to grow in the span of a day, whether you see it or not.
If you’re worried you may have a mold problem, schedule an appointment today to see how ServiceMaster of Columbia can help you with mold removal in your home. We will assess the situation and determine the best course of action to prevent costly, long-term damage to your home.
Detecting a Mold Problem
Visible mold damage is usually easy to detect. Mold typically comes in the form of a slimy, greenish-black colored, gelatinous substance with a wet layer on top. However, you may also find dry and powdery mold, which occurs when mold has lost its water source. Not all molds are large enough to be seen, so sometimes your nose is the detective!
Even when mold does not appear to be present in your home, if you see a lot of condensation, this is a sign that you have a high amount of moisture and, consequently, may have a mold problem, or will. Condensation is often most noticeable on surfaces like mirrors, windows or metal pipes, but its presence on these surfaces is indicative that it is also present in materials that support mold growth.
Hidden mold colonies will usually alert you to their whereabouts as mold has a distinct, musty odor. This is called Mycotoxins.
Past Water Damage
If your home or business has experienced major water damage or been flooded in the past and not restored properly, it is likely that mold may still be present. Water damage and floods often lead to environments where mold is growing out of view… behind walls, in the ceiling or under floors.
Even if you aren’t sure if you see black mold on your property, there can also be other physical symptoms of toxic mold that may be cause for concern. Common physical symptoms of black mold include:
- Respiratory issues
- Skin irritation and inflammation
- Mental impairment, tiredness, and nausea
- Suppressed immune system
- Mucous membranes irritation
Whether displayed out in the open or hidden in your walls, mold testing is a critical step in the mold removal and mold control process. Mold control is vital in any home; if mold levels are above an acceptable level, exposure can cause mild to severe allergic reactions, amongst other health issues depending upon the individuals in the home.