Pack Out & Content Restoration
Some fires require that your contents and furnishings be inventoried, packed and safely transported to a secure, climate controlled location for cleaning, deodorization, restoration and storage until the structural restoration is complete. Be assured that ServiceMaster of Columbia restoration technicians are fully trained and will treat your possessions with the utmost care.
We utilize a proven process for inventorying, packing and safely transporting your contents and furniture to one of our cleaning and storage locations. We clean, deodorize, re-pack and store personal possessions until the restoration is complete.
During the pack out and contents restoration process, Service Master of Columbia will:
- Coordinate activities with your insurance claims representative.
- Separate items that will not be moved, including items that will not be restored.
- Inventory, pack and transport items to our climate controlled location.
- Clean, deodorize, re-pack and store items in our warehouse as necessary.
- Arrange for re-delivery of your household belongings once restoration and reconstruction are complete.
Your role during the pack out process:
- Sign an authorization form.
- Identify immediate need items. (Medication, emergency clothing, etc.)
- Identify items to keep in your possession. (Personal valuables, jewelry, etc.)
- Assist with restore versus replace decisions, especially regarding family heirlooms and sentimental items.
- Be available on-site during pack out and redelivery.
Content Cleaning & Restoration
At Service Master, we utilize advanced products and systems for restoring a wide variety of different smoke damaged contents, and can work with you and your insurance company to determine which items should be cleaned or restored.
Smoke Damage Restore vs. Replace Decisions
When smoke damage occurs, we will work to restore all property to a pre-loss condition whenever possible. In some cases, where the fire or smoke damage is severe, some items cannot be restored. Others could cost more to restore than their actual value. We will advise you and your insurance claim representative and explain the limits of what we as professional restorers can do in the case of severe smoke damage.
Our Cleaning Methods
Hand-Washing and Drying – Items are carefully cleaned by hand with special care taken to use dry methods with water-sensitive items.
Ultrasonic Cleaning – Similar to the process a jeweler uses to clean jewelry; sonic vibrations help to gently remove soot while minimizing the handling of items that can cause damage. Common items cleaned ultrasonically include blinds, collectibles, and other small contents.
Restoration Laundry/Dry Cleaning – Because fire damage requires a special form of dry cleaning, we utilize a special service performed by a restoration dry cleaner. (Includes inventory control and documentation of clothing and textiles, including bedding, window coverings, etc.) Furniture and Upholstery Cleaning – This requires ServiceMaster’s specialty equipment, products, and technicians trained and certified in furniture restoration.